1 a strong flame that burns brightly; "the blaze spread rapidly" [syn: blazing]
2 a cause of difficulty and suffering; "war is hell"; "go to blazes" [syn: hell]
3 noisy and unrestrained mischief; "raising blazes" [syn: hell]
4 great brightness; "a glare of sunlight"; "the flowers were a blaze of color" [syn: glare, brilliance]
5 a light-colored marking; "they chipped off bark to mark the trail with blazes"; "the horse had a blaze between its eyes"
1 shine brightly and intensively; "Meteors blazed across the atmosphere"
2 shoot rapidly and repeatedly; "He blazed away at the men" [syn: blaze away]
3 burn brightly and intensely; "The summer sun alone can cause a pine to blaze"
4 move rapidly and as if blazing; "The spaceship blazed out into space" [syn: blaze out]
5 indicate by marking trees with blazes; "blaze a trail"
- Rhymes: -eɪz
- A fire, especially a fast-burning fire producing a lot of flames and light.
- A mark resembling a fire.
- "The palomino had a white blaze on its face."
mark resembling fire
- Finnish: liekkikuvio
- To be on fire, especially producing a lot of flames and light.
- "The campfire blazed merrily."
- To shine like a flame.
- To make a thing shine like a flame.
- To mark or cut (a route, especially through vegetation), or figuratively, to set a precedent for the taking-on of a challenge.
to be on fire
- Finnish: roihuta
to shine like a flame
- Finnish: hehkua, loistaa
to make shine like flame
- Finnish: hehkuttaa
to mark or cut a route
- Finnish: raivata
Blaze may refer to:
- Blaze (dinghy), A one design high performance racing dinghy designed by Ian Howlett and John Caig
- B L A Z E, a Heavy metal band formed in 1999 in England by former Wolfsbane and Iron Maiden vocalist Blaze Bayley
- Blaze (band), an electronica band formed in 1984 in New Jersey, USA
- Blaze (Jpop band), a band currently known for their song Fire. Which was use in the Yu-Gi-Oh! movie Pyramid of Light
- Blaze (album), an album by Lagwagon
- Blaze Bayley (metal band), a British heavy metal band
- BLAZE, a single by KOTOKO
- "Blaze", a Japanese song by Kotani Kinya
- Blaze Ya Dead Homie, an underground rapper on the Psychopathic Records label
- Blaze (film) , a 1989 film starring Paul Newman and Lolita Davidovich
- Blaze (novel), a novel by Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman
- Blaze and Satanus, comic book villains from DC Comics, enemy of Superman and Captain Marvel
- Blaze, a horse featured in a series of children's books written by C.W. Anderson
In video games:
- Blaze the Cat, a fictional cat from the Sonic the Hedgehog video game series
- Blaze (Mortal Kombat), a character from the Mortal Kombat video game series
- Blaze (Pokémon), a special ability of some Pokémon
- Blaze (Streets of Rage), a character from the Streets of Rage video game series
- Blaze (Ace Combat 5), the player character's callsign from Ace Combat 5.
In sports & games;
- Baton Rouge Blaze, a former arena football2 league team, who played their home games in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Utah Blaze, an Arena Football League team playing their home games in Salt Lake City
- Blaze (Mascot), the dragon mascot of the University of Alabama at Birmingham athletic teams
- Blaze the Phoenix, the mascot of the 1996 Summer Paralympics
- Blaze, a non-standard poker hand
- HSC Blaze, a Girls Youth Soccer team in Hillsborough NJ, affiliated with Hillsborough Soccer Clubhttp://www.hscblaze.org/
In other uses:
- Blaze (toy), a rocking-horse riding toy produced by Mattel in the 1960s
- Trail blazing
- Blaze, an equine coat marking
- Blaze, a minor character in Yankee in Oz by Ruth Plumly Thompson
- To smoke marijuana, particularly from a lit joint.
blaze in German: Blaze
blaze in French: Blaze
blaze in Japanese: ブレイズ
blaze in Polish: Blaze
blaze in Portuguese: Blaze
blaze in Swedish: Blaze
Vandyke, arrow, backfire, bake, balefire, be bright, be in heat, beacon, beacon fire, beam, bedazzle, birthmark, blare, blare forth, blast, blaze a trail, blaze abroad, blaze of light, blaze up, blazing light, blazon, blazon about, blemish, blind, blinding light, blister, bloom, blotch, boil, bombard, bonfire, brand, bright light, brightness, brilliance, brilliancy, brilliant light, broil, burn, burn in, burn off, burning ghat, burst, burst into flame, burst of light, campfire, cast, caste mark, catch, catch fire, catch on fire, cauterize, celebrate, chalk, chalk up, char, check, check off, checkmark, cheerful fire, choke, chop, cicatrix, cicatrize, cleft, coal, combust, combustion, compass needle, conflagration, convulsion, cook, corposant, coruscate, cozy fire, crack, crackling fire, crematory, crena, crenellate, crenulate, crimp, cry, cry out, cupel, cut, cyclone, dapple, dash, daze, dazzle, dazzling light, death fire, declaim, define, deflagration, delimit, demarcate, depression, diffuse light, direction, direction post, discolor, discoloration, dot, earmark, effulgence, engrave, engraving, eruption, explosion, facula, fen fire, finger post, fire, fire up, fist, fit, flamboyance, flame, flame up, flare, flare up, flare-up, flash, flash fire, flashing point, fleck, flick, flicker, flickering flame, flood of light, flush, forest fire, found, fox fire, freckle, fry, fulgor, fulgurate, funeral pyre, gale, gash, gasp, give light, glance, glare, glaring light, gleam, gleam of light, glint, glory, glow, graving, guide, guideboard, guidepost, gust, hack, hand, hatch, herald, herald abroad, holocaust, hour hand, hurricane, ignis fatuus, ignite, ignition, illuminate, illumine, impress, imprint, incandesce, incise, incision, indent, indentation, index, index finger, inferno, ingle, irruption, jag, jog, joggle, jot, kerf, kindle, knurl, lambent flame, lead, lentigo, light, line, lubber line, luster, machicolate, macula, make a mark, mark, mark off, mark out, marking, marshfire, milepost, mill, minute hand, mole, mottle, needle, nevus, nick, nock, notch, open fire, outbreak, outburst, oxidate, oxidize, pant, parch, paroxysm, patch, pencil, pepper, picot, pink, point, pointer, polka dot, prairie fire, prick, print, proclaim, promulgate, punch, punctuate, puncture, pyre, pyrolyze, radiance, radiancy, radiant splendor, radiate, radiate heat, raging fire, refulgence, refulgency, resplendence, resplendency, riddle, roast, scald, scallop, scar, scarification, scarify, scintillate, scorch, score, scotch, scratch, scratching, sea of flames, seal, seam, sear, seethe, seizure, send out rays, serrate, sheet of fire, shell, shimmer with heat, shine, shine brightly, shoot, shoot out rays, shout, signal beacon, signboard, signpost, simmer, singe, slash, smolder, smother, smudge fire, solar flare, solar prominence, solder, spark, sparkle, spasm, speck, speckle, splash, splendor, splotch, spot, spunk up, stain, stamp, steam, stew, stifle, stigma, stigmatize, storm, strawberry mark, streak, streaming light, striate, stripe, suffocate, sweat, swelter, swinge, take, take fire, tattoo, tattoo mark, tempest, three-alarm fire, thunder, thunder forth, tick, tick off, tittle, toast, tooth, tornado, torrefy, trace, trumpet, trumpet forth, two-alarm fire, underline, underscore, upheaval, vesicate, vividness, vulcanize, watch fire, watermark, weld, whirlwind, wildfire, witch fire